Floor Insulation Home

 

Yikes!! The floor is freezing! The pealing alarm clock would suddenly make you scramble from the warm cocoon of the electric blanket. But the ice cold floor would make you scuttle back to bed. Floor insulation is needed. And you have to do it NOW!

Why would you need floor insulation when you have already insulated the roof and the walls of your home? Basically, the roof and the floor account for 60% of a buildings exposure, the remaining 40% is for the walls. It is therefore important to consider floor insulation when it comes to heat loss concerns. A few decades back when energy issues are not a real worry, heat loss from floors that are not insulated were given a back seat. Aesthetic values are given key importance in building designs. Presently however, energy buying countries pass legislations that mandate an organized system of designing energy efficient buildings. This includes floor insulation.

Insulation (including floor insulation) is carried out to minimize the flow of heat. In winter, proper room insulation is what traps the heat. There is no question about the ability of a fire place, a furnace and other heaters to keep the home warm but thermal insulation would mean less electricity costs as the heat will be confined or trapped in the room. Insulation simply means keeping the heat in and the cold out. Along with roof and wall insulation, floor insulation would mean less energy will be needed to heat the room thus resulting in a significant reduction on electricity consumption. Floor insulation is very important.

Floor insulation will lessen cold air drafts and increase your savings on energy costs. This can be a fairly easy do it yourself job if the house is still under construction and you are about to put in a new floor. Insulation can be installed from above before the sub floor is laid in place.

However, floor insulation of older homes can be a gruelling task as insulation can only be done through the basement or through the crawl space. There are many kinds of insulation but fibreglass insulation would be easier to handle as these are available in pre-cut sizes. Insulation from the basement would need metal supports to hold the insulation in place. Fiberglas can cause severe itching and if you will do the insulation yourself you need to be protected with long sleeves, a heavy duty gloves and a face mask. Goggles would protect the eyes from fibreglass too.

If you’re looking to install a new floor in your home we recommend looking over the information at Flooradvisor.com